Change in I-WORK Terms/Policy

Change in I-WORK Terms/Policy


Travel/Vacation Policy 

Whenever an IWORK student leaves the island of O’ahu or takes time off from work we consider this travel/vacation.  We understand that students might need to travel for personal reasons (e.g. visit family/friends, wedding, etc.), however, travel must not interfere with their scheduled classes.  In order for us to make sure that our IWORK students are fulfilling their responsibilities both at school and work the following process must take place in order for a student to travel.


All travel must first be approved by an IWORK counselor BEFORE tickets are purchased.  Travel information and reasons for travel should be explained using the IWORK Request for Travel Form.

A flight itinerary must be submitted to confirm the dates of travel after approval has been received.  Students are responsible for their own travel cost. (NO Buddy passes allowed)

In order for students to travel they will need to meet 5 criteria:

  1. Must be enrolled for 2 consecutive semesters before they can request to travel
  2. Must get approval signature from their employment supervisor/manager and HR
  3. Must be current with their BYU-Hawaii financial student account
  4. Must be in good academic standing
  5. Travel must not interfere with scheduled classes


Travel requests should not be longer than two weeks.  Traveling for more than two weeks is highly discouraged for several reasons:

  • Empoyers of IWORK students (PCC) have travel policies that do not allow for students to take more than two weeks off.
  • IWORK students have committed to assist with the cost of their education through continuous employment. 
  • The University is paying for facilities and resources (e.g.  Housing and a meal plan) that are not being used while the student is traveling. 


All travel request for more than 2 weeks will need to be reviewed and approved by the IWORK committee. Any exceptions to the policy will also need to be reviewed and approved by the IWORK committee.    


The IWORK program will NOT pay for students housing and meal plans for any student traveling for more than two weeks.  Students who are requesting to travel for more than 2 weeks will be required to pay the expected contribution (typically paid by their hours of work) and the costs associated with housing, meals, and facilities that would have otherwise been used.  These costs are pro-rated.  Students are also required to make arrangements with housing in the event that the student will need to check out of their current room and be re-assigned a new room when they return from travel. The financial aid office will not be responsible for arranging housing accommodations anytime a student travels for more than 2 weeks.


The following required costs for students traveling more than 2 weeks MUST be paid before the student travels.




Cost to Travel 

Days/Weeks of Travel 

Hale w/o Kitchen 

Hale w/ Kitchen & TVA 

1 - 14 days (up to 2 weeks)


15 - 21 days (3rd week)

$108 - $276

$78 - $246

22 - 28 days (4th week)

$188 - $356

$128 - $296

29 - 35 days (5th week)

$268 - $436

$178 - $346


Motorized Vehicles Policy

I-WORK students are not allowed to own a vehicle. Insurance, gasoline, liability, and legal requirements of owning a vehicle are costly; therefore, it is recommended that I-WORK students do not drive.  However, we understand that in some cases students will need to have the ability to drive.  In order for students to drive any motorized vehicle, the student must:

  • Verify that he/she is legally able to drive in the U.S. (e.g. driver's license)
  • Verify that the vehicle is legally registered and insured






Re-application process

Current I-WORK students will NO longer have to submit an ISAA annually, instead all current I-WORK students will fill out and submit a Change In Circumstance (CIC) form to notify us if there has been any changes.








    Last Updated: 7/22/2015