- Cost of Attendance
- Dates and Deadlines
- Federal Aid
- International Student Aid
- Book Loan
- New & Prospective Student Link
- Consumer Disclosure Information
- Deferred Payment Plan
- Terms and Conditions
The federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) is a loan that a parent may obtain on behalf of a dependent undergraduate student. PLUS loans have a fixed 7.21% annual percentage rate (APR). Repayment of this loan starts and interest begins to grow 60 days after the loan is fully disbursed. Because PLUS loans have a fixed 7.21% APR they are typically less expensive than private or alternative loans.
PLUS loans do not require a family to demonstrate financial need. Therefore, families with high income may qualify as readily as families with lower income.
You need to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply for a PLUS. A completed FAFSA is also required if you wish to apply for a grant, need-based scholarship or federal Stafford Loan.
PLUS loans may be awarded for amounts up to the estimated cost of attendance for an enrollment period less all other financial aid awarded for that period.
PLUS loans are subject to credit approval. If the parent’s PLUS application is declined, then the student may be eligible for additional Unsubsidized Stafford Loans. If you find yourself in this circumstance, then you may speak with a financial aid counselor for more details.
- Student and parent borrower must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or other eligible noncitizen and have a high school diploma or its recognized equivalent.
- Student must be admitted to BYUH as a regular student in a degree-seeking undergraduate program (for a current or future enrollment during the academic year) and be considered a dependent student by the US Department of Education.
- Meet all Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements and not be in default on a federal student loan or owe a refund on a federal grant.
- Be enrolled at least half-time (6 hours per semester). Be enrolled in at least 51% of on-campus credits.
- Be awarded by your last day of eligible enrollment and not have exceeded federal loan limits.
- Lender approval based on the credit of the parent borrower.
How to apply
1. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid(FAFSA) for the current school year and have the results sent to Brigham Young University Hawaii(FAFSA ID# 001606)
2. Submit your PLUS Loan Request Form to the Financial Aid office.
3. Log into www.studentloans.gov and complete Master Promissory Note(MPN) for Parent Plus loan.