The IRS Data Retrieval Tool automatically pulls your tax information from the IRS in your FAFSA. We highly recommend using the tool for a smoother financial aid process.
Why Should You Use the Tool?
- Guarantees that the most accurate tax information is submitted.
- Reduces the chance of being asked to complete the verification process.
- If you are selected for verification, it is the easiest way to complete any "Tax Transcript" task.
Who Can't Use the Tool?
- If you are married, but filed as 'single' or 'married-filing separately' for the requested tax year.
- If you filed too recently
- If you filed a Puerto Rican or foreign tax return
- Log in to your FAFSA with your username and password.
- When on the 'Financial Information' tab, select 'Already Completed' for the tax return filing status and answer the eligibility question.
- If you are eligible to use the tool, you will click on the 'Link to IRS' button. Enter the appropriate FSA Username and Password.
- You will leave the FAFSA website and enter the IRS Data Retrieval Tool website. Enter the requested information and click 'Submit'. You need to enter your address exactly as it appeared when you filed your taxes.
- Due to increased security concerns, you will not be able to see the specific data being transferred from the IRS. If you are confident that you filed your taxes correctly, you can be confident that the numbers transferred are correct. Check the ‘Transfer My Tax Information into the FAFSA’ box and click ‘Transfer Now’. You will be returned to the FAFSA website. Now that the data is transferred, do not update any fields that say ‘Transferred from the IRS'. If you do, we will not be able to use the information and you will be required to provide copies of your tax transcripts if selected for verification.
- If you are using the tool for both the student and the parent, you will have to complete this process twice. Once under the ‘Student Financial Information’ section and once under the ‘Parent Financial Information’ section before resubmitting the FAFSA.
- Continue to the ‘Sign & Submit’ tab. Follow all of the instructions carefully to submit your FAFSA.