Skip to main content

Federal Aid FAQs

  • To know what kind of aid and how much aid you are eligible for, you need to complete and submit a FAFSA.
    If it is your first time applying for federal aid, you and one of your parents (unless you are married or considered independent) will need to create an FSA ID.
    The following resources may be useful:
  • The cost to attend college, along with housing and other daily expenses, can be a hefty bill. Students look for ways to lower the cost of furthering their education.
    Submitting a FAFSA will help you determine what kind of aid and how much you can qualify for.
    External scholarships may request a copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR).
  • Aid from the Federal Government is available in the form of grants, work-study funds (BYU–Hawaii does not currently have this program), and student loans. To determine what kind of aid a student can receive, the completion and submission of a FAFSA is required.
  • This refers to your status and what information you need to submit on your FAFSA. Typically, if you are on active duty, are married or have dependents to support, or are 24 or older, you are considered an independent student.
    If you do not meet any of these requirements, then you are likely considered a dependent student.
    The FAFSA will give you guidance on determining and confirming your dependency status.
  • Verification is a process required by the Federal Government to determine the validity of the information submitted on a student's FAFSA. This process requires that the student submit supporting documentation.
  • An admitted student can remain eligible for federal aid by meeting all eligibility requirements and the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). In summary, to meet SAP, a student must,
    • maintain a CGPA of 2.0
    • complete all graduation requirements within 150% of the minimum hours required to complete your degree (the equivalent of 180 attempted credits maximum)
    • complete at least 67% of all attempted credits
  • Back awarding refers to a practice where aid is awarded to a student in a period once that same period is past. BYU–Hawaii does not back award.
    This means, for example, that when the fall semester is over, any pending aid that has not been disbursed will not; any outstanding balance will be the responsibility of the student to resolve.
  • BYU–Hawaii allows a change of status from single/dependent to married/independent in the middle of a semester; the student will need to contact a counselor at Financial Aid & Scholarships and provide all needed documents by the verification deadline of that semester.
  • There is a Federal Student Aid Channel that can be helpful. You may also read more information on the kind of aid you may qualify for on our website.
    Do not hesitate to contact us if you need further assistance.