Toggle ItemWhat are the types of scholarships available at BYU–Hawaii?
Toggle ItemHow do I apply for institutional scholarships?
New or Transferring Student
- David O' McKay Recruiting Scholarship: There is no application for this scholarship. Admissions uses the information you provided on your besmart application (the same application you filled out to apply to be admitted to BYU–Hawaii) to determine if you are eligible.
- Returned Missionary Voucher: voucher needs to be filled out and submitted by your former mission president. You can find more information about it on the Admissions website.
Current or Returning Student
- Dean's List: There is no application for the Dean's List. However, you need to be eligible and meet the requirements.
- Academic Department Scholarship: The departments decide on who receives an academic department scholarship. Contact your academic department directly.
- Leadership Scholarship: Student Leadership & Service oversees those scholarships. Contact Student Leadership & Service (located in the Aloha Center).
Toggle ItemThank You! letter-how can I write a thank you letter to scholarship donor?As a recipient of this award, be mindful to always express your appreciation. Here are some options:
- Fill out the survey and thank you letter on the Financial Aid & Scholarship website.
- Type a letter addressed to "Generous Donor of" and include the name of your scholarship, and email it to the Philanthropies Department of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints or mail your letter to Philanthropies Department – Attn: Communications Team, 1450 N. University Ave, Provo, UT 84602.
Toggle ItemWhy is my scholarship not disbursed to my student account?The most common reason is credit enrollment. The requirement is to register at least 14 credits for fall and winter, and nine credits for spring. External scholarships typically require a full-time enrollment of at least 12 credits.
Please contact Financial Aid & Scholarships at (808) 675-3316 if you have any questions.
Toggle ItemWhen can I receive my scholarships?Generally, awards will be placed on student accounts as "pending aid" one week before the semester begins. Assuming all requirements for financial aid have been met, students "pending aid" will be disbursed the week after the add/drop deadline.
Toggle ItemCan I defer a Dean's List Scholarship?Only if you are leaving campus to serve and complete a full-time mission, or military service-must be enrolled within a year of completion of service, or taking a leave of absence-must be enrolled in the next semester.
You may want to visit Financial Aid & Scholarships so that the counselor over scholarships makes a note of this and disburse the award correctly.
Keep in mind that if you take a leave or discontinue for three consecutive semesters/terms or more, you will need to complete one full-time on-campus semester/term before becoming eligible.
Toggle ItemHow many credits do I have to take to receive my scholarship?You must enroll in at least 14 credits for the fall and winter semesters, and nine credits for the spring semester.
Summer is not an official term, therefore no merit or departmental scholarships are available.
Toggle ItemI'm graduating this semester and don't need 14 credits (or nine credits for spring). Can I still receive my scholarship?Yes. You must fill out a Reduced Course Load Form (contact your academic advisor) if you are enrolled in less than 12 credits for fall or winter, and eight credits for spring.
Toggle ItemWhat happens to my scholarship if all my charges are paid in full?Any excess scholarship funds will be refunded to you. It is highly recommended to set up a direct deposit for refunds; the excess funds will be sent directly to your bank account. Learn how to set up your Student Center for eRefund.
Note: direct deposits for refunds are different from direct deposits for paychecks. If you don't set up your student account for a direct deposit for refunds, you will receive an email from Financial Services letting you know that your refund check is available for pick up (bring an ID). After three days, your check will be mailed to the mailing address listed on your student account. Please update your mailing address and information on your student account.
Toggle ItemHow do I contact Financial Aid & Scholarships if I have more questions?