Skip to main content

Scholarships FAQs

  • New or transferring students can view the available scholarships on the New Students page. Current or returning students can view the available scholarships on the Dean's List page.

  • New or Transferring Student

    • BYU–Hawaii Tuition Scholarship: There is no application for this scholarship. Admissions uses the information you provided on your besmart application (the same application you filled out to apply to be admitted to BYU–Hawaii) to determine if you are eligible.
    • Returned Missionary Voucher: The voucher needs to be filled out and submitted by your former mission president. You can find more information about it on the Admissions website.

    Current or Returning Student

    • Dean's List: There is no application for the Dean's List Scholarship. However, you need to be eligible and meet the requirements.
    • Academic Program Scholarship: The departments decide on who receives an academic program scholarship. Contact your academic program directly.
    • Leadership Scholarship: Student Leadership & Service oversees those scholarships. Contact Student Leadership & Service (located in the Aloha Center).
  • As a recipient of this award, be mindful always to express your appreciation. Here are some options:

    1. Fill out the survey and thank you letter on the Financial Aid & Scholarship website.
    2. Type a letter addressed to "Generous Donor of" and include the name of your scholarship, and email it to the Philanthropies Department of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints or mail your letter to Philanthropies Department – Attn: Communications Team, 1450 N. University Ave, Provo, UT 84602.
  • The most common reason is credit enrollment. The requirement is to register at least 12 credits for fall and winter, and eight credits for spring. External scholarships typically require a full-time enrollment of at least 12 credits.
    Please contact Financial Aid & Scholarships at (808) 675-3316 if you have any questions.

  • Generally, awards will be placed on student accounts as "pending aid" one week before the semester begins. Assuming all requirements for financial aid have been met, students' "pending aid" will be disbursed the week after the add/drop deadline.

  • Only if you are leaving campus to serve and complete a full-time mission or military service must you be enrolled within a year of completion of service or taking a leave of absence. You must be enrolled in the next semester.

    You may want to visit Financial Aid & Scholarships so that the counselor over scholarships makes a note of this and disburses the award correctly. Keep in mind that if you take a leave or discontinue for three consecutive semesters/terms or more, you will need to complete one full-time on-campus semester/term before becoming eligible.

  • You must enroll in at least 12 credits for the fall and winter semesters and eight credits for the spring semester.

    Summer is not an official term, therefore no merit or departmental scholarships are available.

  • Yes. You must fill out a Reduced Course Load Form (contact your academic advisor) if you are enrolled in less than 12 credits for fall or winter and eight credits for spring.

  • Any excess scholarship funds will be refunded to you. It is highly recommended to set up a direct deposit for refunds; the excess funds will be sent directly to your bank account. Learn how to set up your Student Center for eRefund.

    Note: direct deposits for refunds are different from direct deposits for paychecks. If you don't set up your student account for a direct deposit for refunds, you will receive an email from Financial Services letting you know that your refund check is available for pick up (bring an ID). After three days, your check will be mailed to the mailing address listed on your student account. Please update your mailing address and information on your student account.

  • We are located in the Lorenzo Snow Building (LSB), right across from the Admissions office.

    Our office main number is (808) 675-3316

    Our email address is

    Our mailing address is BYU–Hawaii #1980, 55-220 Kulanui Street, Laie, HI 96762-1293.